We use cookies to provide you with a responsive service to make your experience of our website(s) better. Please confirm that you agree to our use of cookies in accordance with our cookies policy.

By continuing to use our website we will assume that you are happy to receive non-privacy intrusive cookies. Please be aware that if you disable cookies some functionality on the site will not work.

Alternatively, read our cookies policy to find out more about our cookie use and how to disable cookies.

About British waterways licences

British Waterways, the Environment Agency and the Broads Authority are the three major navigation authorities in charge of canals, estuaries, inland rivers and harbours in the UK. Most boats wishing to cruise on the inland waterways network will need to be licensed by the appropriate authority. A variety of different licences are available, from annual to visitor licences.

Contact the Environment Agency, British Waterways or the Broads Authority to find out what the registration and licence arrangements are for your area.

With the exception of privately owned open boats, all applications must be accompanied by a valid Boat Safety Scheme certificate.

Every boat must display its current valid navigation certificate and registration number at all times.

For rivers and canals not controlled by the above, you should seek advice from whoever controls the navigation and their licensing requirements.

Contact us

01273 863 400

Lines are open:
Monday - Friday 9am - 5pm

We may record or monitor calls to improve our service.

Email us at:


You can find out more information about Zurich's complaint process here. This also provides a summary of all complaints received by Zurich, which includes those relating to Navigators & General.